Sunday, October 17, 2010

Walk, wine, dinner, wine, dessert, wine...




On Friday after my lunch and Steve's nap we walked to the Bordeaux city center along the Gorgonne River. There's a beautiful pedestrian path along the water--just perfect for a pedestrian guy like me. First stop: Maison du Vin. It seems every city has a House of Wine. Maybe I should open one in Seattle. Hmmm. Steve was wearing his customary UW baseball cap, not haute couture as far as I know (you can learn a lot watching The Devil Wears Prada seven times!)
Another patron of the wine house asked if he went to the UW. Turns out this gentleman went to Indiana also, my alma mater. Before I could take a sip of my wine we were sharing our table with Tim and Lesley. Tim just moved to London for a new job... I think wine exacerbates CRS disease (a terrible condition where you Can't Remember Shit) ... Lesley works for Razorfish, a hot web-based marketing and advertising company. Maybe Tim does something boring like bond trading or brain surgery.



After wine we decided to have dinner and more wine. This place has cool couches facing into a court yard. Although Paris no longer allows smoking in restaurants, that doesn't apply to eating outside. This may have been a great meal, but I couldn't really tell with the occasional gusts of cigarette smoke. I took my dessert out to one of those red couches to get up wind of the smoke. They aren't as comfortable as they look. But they are definitely up wind! And the view is nice:



After dinner, you'll never guess what we did. Found a place to have some more wine! Or maybe we moved on to armagnac. But what I do remember is that they brought us out some homemade madelines. Just take a look at these beauties:



I didn't even recognize them at first. I love madelines, but I've only had store bought ones. Yum, yum, yum-my! I may have to buy a madeline pan.
I stayed up till 11pm and crashed into bed. I woke up at 3:30am. Steve slept like a baby for 9 hours. And he was the one that took a nap! Oh well, I'll get unlagged from this jet setting soon.

No comments: