Monday, April 7, 2014

Cully Day 4 - Sightseeing

My friend Martine took me out to lunch today at Grandvaux.  She picked a place with a lovely view of the Lauvaux region.  That's Cully down on the water about 1/4 from the left.


I'm still not pronouncing Cully correctly. It's a sound we don't have in English. It's what linguists call a rounded vowel.  Vowel sounds depend on the position of the tongue and the shape of the lips.  Did you ever wonder why the doctor asks you to say "ah"? It's because the tongue position for that vowel is down, so the doctor can see your throat without your tongue getting in the way.  Even though we don't have this vowel in English, we do have one with the same lip shape and one with the same tongue position. So round your lips like you are going to say oo (as in boo).  Now without moving your lips say ee (as in bee). Give it a try. I'll wait.

I think you've got it! Bravo. Have a few glasses of French Bordeaux and try it some more.

After lunch we drove through Lavaux. First along the hill, then down by the water.  We stopped to walk along the lake and search for ice cream.  A sidewalk artist created all these balancing rock sculptures.


Yes, there are kids swimming in the lake. I knew I should have brought my bathing suit.  We found the ice cream store and after navigating the menu in French, I opted for frappé frambois, which is strawberry or rasberry or some red berry.  I didn't see peanut butter on the menu, so I didn't get my usual chocolate peanut butter shake. Of course that might be because I don't know how to say peanut butter in French. Or maybe they just don't have crazy American flavors like that here.

No comments: