Monday, April 14, 2014

Day 11 - Hello Paris

Today I had to get up at the crack of 10:00 to catch the train to Lausanne. I had saved 6 francs and change for my ticket, which was only 5.80, so now I have exactly 1 franc in dimes and double dimes. Oh, wait, this one is a 1/2 franc. These are close in size to a dime. Okay 1.40 francs left over. Close enough for government work. 

I have 45 minutes in Lausanne before my train to Geneva. I figured that was better than 15 minutes, but these trains here run like clockwork. Even 5 minutes would have been enough time. I found a cafe. Oh, look! Croissant for 1.30. Wait. Croissant Rustico for 1.40. Perfect. No more francs. And a yummy croissant to boot. 

In Geneva I change to the TGV (Train of Great Velocity) and am now hurtling towards Paris at 110 mph. Arriving at Gare du Lyon, it's a 5 minute walk to the apartment I rented (on AirBnB). I found a place close to the gare (station) so I wouldn't have to walk far. And I made it without a single misstep. 

This apartment is tiny. Maybe 12' by 12'. The bathroom has less than 2' square in front of a sink that is smaller than a turkey platter. Shower looks big enough. But it's clean and neat. And best of all--It's in Paris! 

Time to explore the neighborhood. Oh, it's near La Bastille. 


That's the Bastille at the end of the waterway. No, this is not the Seine, but it connects to it. 

Wandering around some more I found Henry the 4th Street. That sounds fun. And that direction should be the river. I found a nice looking cafe, Café Margot, with a few people sitting outside drinking coffee. I sit and order myself a coffee. I can't believe I am here again. It's been 3 years, 6 months and 8 days, but who's counting? Not me. I made up the days. It's been about 3 and a half years. The couple at the next table ask for a menu, but it's too early. They don't start serving dinner till 7pm. 

I wandered around some more and wound up back at Café Margot for dinner. Wine, filet minion de porc, and Armagnac. I suppose I could check out the dessert menu. Profiterole GÉANTE. Oh, I love those. 


Yes, that's gigantic. I ask the couple at the next table to help me with it after it is delivered to their table by mistake. 

As I was leaving I stopped to say hello to another couple that sounded American. She sounded like she was from New York. Sure enough, she was born in Ridgewood, NJ. He's Australia and has lived all over. They now live in Paris around the corner near the river. I ask for restaurant recommendations for tomorrow. Do I like duck? But, of course! Then I have to go to Trumilou just past the Pont Louis Phillipe. I have a plan for tomorrow. 

No comments: