Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 12 - Paris Walking Tour

My agenda for today is JD's Walking Tour of Paris, which I'm going to make up as a I go along. I started out from my apartment and walked straight to the Seine. I walked along the left bank until I came to Notre Dame.


It was a beautiful sunny day and there were tons of people all around and lined up to get in. I was happy just to look at the outside. I hadn't walked that far, but I was ready for lunch. Let's get off this island and away from Notre Dame to find a place. I crossed a bridge, but I'm not on the right bank. I'm on another island. I'd like to get off this too. A few blocks in from the river I found this place.


Quiche with Broccoli! And salad. What a lovely day to sit outside in the sun. I hadn't heard anyone speaking German in Switzerland and that's one of the official languages. Today I heard two couples speaking German at this cafe. It's an international city and a touristy place.

After lunch I walked back to the river and continued on along it until I came to the Louvre.


That glass pyramid is the entrance the the Louvre. I'm not going in today. Just pyramid shopping.

This next tourist landmark is for my mom. She'll recognize it. For the rest of you it's a quiz. Where am I?


Now, there's one more large landmark to find. It looks like it's somewhat near the river. And looks like it's not that far away. Here's my favorite sign in Paris.


I guess that means wrong way to Eiffel Tower. Not sure why it's bent. Is that to tell you which way to go? Or just so it'll fit on the sign? And this sign is only for cars. If you're on foot, this is precisely the way to go. And voila!


I think I've put in about 5 miles walking. Time to find a Metro station to head back. There's a Tour Eiffel station, but I can't find it. I started walking back to the river and found the Invalides station. The big map on the wall says the C line should take me back to Gare d'Austerlie. Found the platform for the C train, but which C train do I want? The trains have video displays that list all the stops for the next train to arrive. But, Gare d'Austerlie isn't on either track. If I'd been paying more attention I'd have noticed that both trains were heading in the same direction. Not the direction that I wanted to go. There must have been another platform with trains heading the other way. I finally got on one of the wrong trains and rode it one stop the wrong way. I had to exit the station and cross the street and enter again to go back the other way. Now, it's getting late and I have a 7pm dinner reservation at Trumilou. I better just get off at Notre Dame and head straight to dinner.

Debra and Peter, whom I met last night, were right. This is a great restaurant. I had the artichoke salad and then the duck breast with fruit sauce. Excellent. I also ordered a carafe of Bordeaux and a carafe of water. I thought if I had a carafe of water sitting on the table that that would be good for me even if I didn't drink any of it. I drank all the Bordeaux, of course. Pear tart for dessert. I love Paris at dinnertime!

It's been a lovely day and I need to make it an early night. Have to get up at 6:00 to get to the airport for my trip home. Au revoir, Paris. I'll be back.

No comments: