Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cully Day 9 - Friday Night at the Festival

It's Friday night in Cully and the festival is in full festive mode. American Akua Naru is getting the party started in mainstage #2 with her blend of jazz and hip-hop. She's dynamic and gets the crowd going right away. I didn't even know I liked hip-hop. Though I think adding a saxophone doesn't really make it jazz. Much as I like adding a saxophone to everything. And adding bacon to everything!


I got there early to get chunk of floor to stand on a spot of wall to lean on. Now the place is packed. After the 2nd song I start making my way to the door when I realized it's not really my cup of tea. It's not my bouteille de vin either. Now this, is my bouteille de vin.


The Gamay from Lutry, my favorite of the local wines. It was a beautiful day to sit outside and drink wine and eat fish and chips from the local pecherie. I'm guessing that means fish monger. Perch today. Yummy!

Now into mainstage #1 to hear the Swiss Stefan Aeby and his trio.


I'd put that solidly in the jazz category. Good stuff. 

After a 20 minute intermission where I walk around and stretch my legs, I'm back in mainstage #1 to hear Randy Weston & Billy Harper.


They are touring in support of their latest recording, "The Roots of the Blues", and playing mostly original compositions. A great show. Stellar. I put this with Avishai Cohen at the top of my festival favorites.

After nine days of festivaling, I'm going to call it an early night and maybe get back to the house before 2am. But there's an interesting duo at Caveau des Amis (Friends Cellar). I paid 5 francs to become a friend of the festival. I've got to stand here a bit and listen.

And what's that I hear? A 60's rock and roll band at Caveau de l'Union! And there's people dancing. And now the guitar player comes down off the stage in the middle of his solo to dance with the crowd. I don't think the 60's were ever like this. I didn't even know the 10's were like this. The 2010's that is. Is that what we'll call this decade when we look back in 50 years?

No comments: