Friday, April 11, 2014

Cully Day 8 - Festival's Best Ratio of Clubs to Fans

Thursday has been one of my favorites days at the festival so far because it has the highest club to fan ratio. In non-geekspeak: less crowded! There are a lot of clubs open and not as many fans as on the weekend, so I was able to get into a lot places!

Started off at mainstage #2 to hear American vocalist Lyeoka. Part funk, part rock, part soul. Hard to describe and also hard not to enjoy. Original tunes and dancable grooves.


Then over to the floating venue. You can't see the band since they are in the hold below.


Okay, it was crowded. This is only part of the 6-piece gypsy jazz band called 36 Rue du Swing (Swing Street)


They had two guitars, bass, violin, accordion and trumpet. Stompin fun!

Then over to Das Schlagzeug to hear the Kimm Trio.


Hey a trio! Even in this small club I can get them all in one picture. Groovy and swinging. I pulled over a chair and sat for a while.

Then there was another Spanish band at Caveau Mélanie Weber: Lola de Valence.


Looks like the same guitar player as last night. Fun, but crowded. I stood in the back for a few songs before heading over to Caveau Potterat to hear the Harasse Jazz Band. That means Crate Jazz Band. I don't see anyone with a crate. But they sound great.


Best described as Dixie-land, style, I'd say. Lots of jazz standards: Basin Street Blues, Blue Monk, It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got that Swing, and Sweet Georgia Bourne (yeah, that's how they pronounced it). Is that Jason Bourne's sister? They are fun. I took a seat and hung out a while.

Oh, now they're doing a Russian folk song and singing in Russian. Aaah! French, Spanish, Russian. It's too much. And I'm even taking a night off from the wine. Oh look at the time!


It's European midnight! That's the be-waffling hour!! Off to the waffle vendor.


Oui, gaufre chocolat! Wandering off with a happy belly when I heard a country and western band!


They are called Los Dos and Amigos. I'm not sure which ones are the amigos. Unless that's the 6 people in cowboy hats dancing on the bar. Okay, you've gotta see these dancers. Is it Spring Break week?


No comments: